This blog is a place where Morgan's mission letters and pictures will be posted as he sends them in. We're hoping it will be an additional way for all of his family and friends to follow him through the next two years as he serves as a missionary for
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

I Love Being a Missionary!

I love being a missionary!
It's Elder Thomas! Arizona is so amazing, just to let you know. The weather here is a toasty 105 just about every day! I have the most amazing farmers tan on my arms and neck, its pretty sweet!
I want to tell you about my week and my mother said that I write better emails when I don't write it out before-hand so I guess I will listen to her and write what is on my mind!
This week I have been drinking so much more water than previous weeks in the field because I bought myself a Camelbak backpack so that I can stay hydrated, now that I have it i don't know how I went through life without one! The pack carries 3 liters of water in it and I go through at least one and a half fillings of it a day- That's a lot of water!!! I sweat more because I take more water in, but that is a good thing because it also clears out my body of any impurities and sicknesses quickly.
As you all know I have a new companion, his name is Elder Brown and I have been able to get to know him very well in the past week. He is the youngest of 5 kids and we have a lot in common, BUT he lacks a little motivation. He is a great missionary, don't get me wrong and I am not bagging on him at all. I will just say that he will be happy to go home in 3 months and I don't think that's the feeling that any missionary should have. Personally, I have no desire to go home, and I can tell you that when I get to the point that I am out for about 21 months that I will be wishing that my mission will be longer. I already think that the days are going by way too fast and that I wish there was a way to slow down time. I am working overtime to reach my goal for this transfer, which is to make the last 3 months of his mission the best time he has ever had out here, not just by having fun, but my teaching and doing the best work. I am committed to that goal and will do anything to complete it.
Mom and Dad - Do you work in the temple with a guy with the last name Brinkerhoff? There is a guy in the Udall ward that I serve in that says his brother serves there, I was wondering if you knew him? if so, say hi and tell him to stay in contact with his brother so that you can know how I am doing from a members point of view.
I was in church on Sunday and of course it was fathers day (HAPPY FATHERS DAY DAD!) so all of the talks were centered around that subject of fathers and the priesthood that they hold. A statement that was made went like this " ... as we honor our priesthood, we become better men, better fathers and better leaders for our families and for the world" - I really love this statement, because it made me think of my dad and how much I respect him for holding the priesthood worthily throughout my whole childhood. If our home didn't have that I bet that I would have had a completely different life - DADS ROCK -
As far as the work goes, we have 14 people with baptismal dates for the next 2 months and we have been teaching a little bit less because of the people we were supposed to be meeting with cancelled on us, but I don't let it get me discouraged, because that is exactly what Satan wants, Elder Christofferson of the quorum of the 12 gives a great talk about the 6 destructive D's that will allow Satan into our lives, everyone should read it! The work is great, it is really hard to take over an area just after one transfer, because I don't know how to be a good missionary yet, and E. Brown doesn't know the area or what the people need here, so there is a lot on my shoulders right now. I am just working the hardest that I can, I don't know what else to do, I understand some of what the people need and how to plan for things, but it is totally different taking the lead instead of having a companion to rely on.
So on Sunday night I came across the place where they have their Luchedor fights (Mexican wrestlers with masks on their faces) and we peaked our heads in behind the entrance wall. The lady said that we could go in there and look at the masks that she had for sale. they have some wrestler masks that are super sweet! I already have one back home that I got from my best friend Cheylo - it looks like nacho libre's mask. I found one that was super awesome at this place, but since it was Sunday I told the lady I would come back on Tuesday and get it! Keeping the Sabbath day holy is key, because right after I told her we would come by on Tuesday I asked her if she had ever been taught by missionaries, she said no, but that she has been wanting to for some time now! SWEET!
I am learing more and more Spanish everyday, a couple days ago we were talking to this lady about the gospel - in Spanish - but she was afraid that we were cops acting like missionaries and that we were going to deport her! Whatever is going on with this new law is really scaring the Hispanic population down here, I see people here every day that are packing up and either moving to California or Mexico. Maybe I wont need my Spanish after all?
I know that the church is true, I love you all! Keep encouraging me and keeping me up to date with your own spiritual progression, and if you feel like it I guess you can tell me what is going on in your life right now!
Love
Elder Thomas
Hope it was a good email, I don't want to disappoint y'all

1 comment:

  1. Morgan,

    WE LOVE YOUR LETTERS! You have become an amazing missionary and we are astounded and pleased by your attitude and hard work. Thank you for your fine example!

    Danielle comes home in 4 days. She says she thinks she will face a bit of transitions because she feels more Italian now than American. When she sees American tourists, she no longer feels like she can completely relate to them. Interesting.

    Please know that the Shumway Family LOVES YOU & IS VERY PROUD OF YOU!
    Keep working hard! We need your example!

    ReplyDelete