I have had a rough week, this area is a lot slower than my last and I have found myself frustrated at times. I really noticed that my attitude was bad on about Friday and forced myself to change, the week was slow, like I said and we didn't teach very many lessons. Even though we have been here 3 weeks now we are still in the finding mode, trying to increase our teaching pool. Tracting is something that I enjoy, but it makes the day go by very slow, there aren't very many people outside of their homes during the day and it makes it hard to contact people. Plus everyone in this area has a steady job, where the people in my last couldn't seem to find a job. I am amazed at how much our attitudes effect our missionary work. Yes, before Friday I was grumpy and the work didn't progress, but after that, after I decided that enough was enough we have been doing so much better!
I would like to tell you about my week from Friday to Monday, because there really wasn't much going on before that! On Friday we did our weekly planning session and made some really good plans to find and teach new people. Saturday we were tracting and ran into this new family! Her name is Brandi, she has a boyfriend named Mike and two daughters - Brittanee and Talyor. Taylor is 13 and has already been baptized into the church, but the rest of them haven't. We weren't able to meet with them until Monday night, but when we talked to them they were so prepared to hear what we had to say! We were bold and expressed the need for baptism, then Brandi said " Well Taylor has been baptized, but Britt and myself still need to be." I was so happy to hear those words! Mike also expressed sincere interest in baptism and learning from the Book of Mormon! They really are the "golden" family that we were looking for in order to jump start the work in this area! We feel so blessed!
On Sunday night we taught a lady named Zamiwe! I am pretty sure that I told you about her, she is the one from Zambia, Africa. WE SET A BAPTISMAL DATE for September 4th and are going to be working with her towards that goal! I am so excited for her and how much the Gospel is going to bless her life! More to come on this story, we are going to be teaching her this week some more!
I have seen my first Scorpion!!!!! These things are awesome! We actually go hunting for them some nights as a service project for some of the neighbors! Last night we caught 36 of the little guys and we are keeping some in our apartment and feeding them bugs! Most of them are small, but the ones that we kept are pretty good size! I'll send a picture
Last Preparation day I was able to have lunch with Elder Mason Johnson from my MTC district! He lives in Mesa and we got together and ate some Arbys! The food was weird, I dont eat much fast food and I think it put my system into shock, but he is doing good as well! As you probably know he tore is meniscus in the MTC and was sent home, but he is still improving, he doesnt use a crutch or anything to walk and is planning to head back out to West Virginia in December of this year! I am so excited for him!
Elder Johnson & Me!
Elder Bickmore and I are doing great! We naturally teach well together and haven't fought yet. I dont plan to either! We push each other to work hard and stay obedient! We are about to start our 4th week together and I am feeling really good about the possibility of him staying for the next transfer too! It will be really nice to already be familiar with my companion and not have to start from scratch again!
I love everyone that has supported me throughout my mission so far, I am doing my best to write back to every letter that I get. I hope that everyone back home is doing well and that things are going great! Please keep my family in your prayers and also all of the missionaries that are in the field. We need all the prayers we can get!
Love,
Elder Thomas

No comments:
Post a Comment