This blog is a place where Morgan's mission letters and pictures will be posted as he sends them in. We're hoping it will be an additional way for all of his family and friends to follow him through the next two years as he serves as a missionary for
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Snowflake Is Wonderful

Snowflake Arizona is a wonderful place! Let me tell you what little information I know about this town.

Snowflake was settled by Mormon pioneers in 1878! Two families were the main group to establish the town, those families are the Snow's and the Flake's. Put those to names together and you have Snowflake! It sits at about 5,600 ft above sea-level, so I will most likely see some snow later this year. I believe that there are about 10,00 people here and you can definitely tell that it is a small town. Everyone here is really nice and waves as you drive by, I am pretty sure that I have already talked to some of the same people at least 3 times! The temperature here is incredible too! Since I got here I don't think I have seen it higher than 86 degrees and I haven't seen it lower than about 44. It's a pretty big change coming from the valley, but I think that I am starting to get used to it.

Elder Ralph's is my companion, he is from Meridian, Idaho! He is 1 inch shorter than me and weighs about 10 pounds less. He was a runner in high school so he is making sure that I get out and run every other morning or so, but I have a really hard time keeping up with him because of the 4400 feet of elevation change! We are getting along great because we are both working really hard and know what our purpose is here. We live in a small apartment behind the home of one of our bishops, they are wonderful people too and I have been able to get to know them very well. Our truck is amazing! I really like to drive it on all the dirt trails leading to people's homes. Unfortunately, our truck is currently in the shop because the Elders before me were not very good at observing their tire ware. It is getting an alignment and 2 brand new tires right now. I'll be sure to send a picture of it.

We had a baptism on Saturday!!!! His name is Kodie and he is the man! I was able to teach him twice before he was baptized and I love that kid to death. He is now a member of the singles branch that we cover and is loving life. I will send a picture of him, Elder Ralphs and Myself at his baptism.

We have been teaching a ton, there is a family of 6 that live in extremely humble circumstances that we are sharing the gospel with. They live "out east" (you will probably see my use that term a lot) and they all have baptismal dates for October 29th! Yes Brandon, I know that is your birthday! How exciting is that? They have a long way to go, but I know that they can do it with the Lord's help.

Found 3 New people to teach this week. Deann, Angel, and Robert! Since Wednesday we have found these people and have been able to tell them why we are here to teach them. Hopefully we will be teaching Robert tonight and I plan to invite him to be baptized on October 22nd. Stay tuned to hear more about these people.

This week is going to be interesting because Elder Ralphs is going down to the valley tonight and will be gone until Thursday night. That leaves me in the area with little knowledge of the people, but I plan to make the most of it. I am going to do everything in my power to prepare people for Baptism and Confirmation. I am excited to see how I do.

Please continue to pray for me! I love you all!

Elder Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment