This blog is a place where Morgan's mission letters and pictures will be posted as he sends them in. We're hoping it will be an additional way for all of his family and friends to follow him through the next two years as he serves as a missionary for
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My First Two Days

Hola everyone!
 
Guess where I am!???
 
I stepped off of the plane yesterday into Phoenix Airport and my hands immediately dried up! ha ha just kidding. I saw my first real life cactus! I have seen some great things here and have been getting used to the warmth....I don't love this place yet. Maybe someday.
 
Enough about my sight-seeing, I will tell you more about where I am at and what I have been up to.
 
I am located in downtown Mesa! (yes it is the ghetto, and yes I live in a tool shed that has been kinda remodeled into a living space) This "apartment" is so small that I have to duck my head to get through the one doorway that it has. I will send dimensions and pictures when I have time, but it is tiny! I live less than a block away from the Mesa temple and I get to teach investigators in there whenever we set up an appointment to do so. This is rough...I had a hard night last night before I went out to teach, I know why, but I am not going to admit it. I do not miss home, this is where I need to be.
 
Yesterday when I got here I filled out some paper work and met my new companion, Elder Cornilles is from Oregon too! he is from Tualatin and has been out for 14 months! He is an extremely hard worker! Last night (may 4th) we taught 2 lessons; one to Aileen and one to Amanda! Aileen is pregnant and not married but has a date set for baptism and Amanda has one kid and one on the way, also not married, but again we have set a date for the baptism. I am so grateful to serve here, yes it is the complete opposite to what I am used to, but that is a good thing, everyone here may look scary, but they are so so nice and most of them are completely humble.
 
Today (may 5th) we went to check up on Juanita (an investigator) and we were talking to her about how she couldn't make her rent, then she told us how she got her money... she is a prostitute, BUT then Elder Cornilles and I (mostly him though) taught the principle of the law of chastity to her, she understood why it was bad to do what she was doing and that if she stopped doing that and prayed to her heavenly father we promised her that she would find a way to pay her rent by the end of the day, I was blown away by the spirit in that room, but I know that she will in fact find a way to get that money without doing that. that was the most interesting story so far... 
 
We talk to everyone on the street! so far today we have Talked, Testified and Invited (TTI) 22 people today! and it is only 2:01pm! He is making me work hard! but has told me that I am doing great so far! It was like 95 degrees outside before I came into the library to sit and email.  I will from now on email on Tuesdays because that is Personal day, the reason we are doing it today on a Wednesday was because Elder Cornilles didn't get to yesterday. I am on a bike all day and I am hoping to shed the 2 pounds that I gained in the MTC. I haven't bought one for myself yet dad, but I will soon, right now I am using a piece of junk bike that some other missionary left, its hard to keep up with my companion though. I need a new one.
 
Well lets see.. .what else is there to tell you!
 
I went inside the visitors center yesterday and that was amazing! it is right outside the temple! I also saw a couple taking wedding photos out on the street! ha ha...yeah. I was a little jealous at first, but then I thought about wearing a full suit out in this weather while the sun beats down on you...wasn't so jealous after that. The temple is so pretty! I cannot wait for next transfer (6 weeks from now) so that I can go through this temple! I haven't taken any pictures since I have been in AZ, but that is because it has only been 2 days and I have been super busy. I will get better at that though. I promise. Here is my address in case you didn't know!
 
Elder Morgan Laine Talmage Thomas
Mesa Arizona Misson
6265 N 82nd st.
Scottsdale AZ 85250

No comments:

Post a Comment