This week was so good! I have had such a great time teaching this week as well as getting to know Elder Brown even more. We are getting along great, we teach effectively and are having a lot of success. We didn't have any baptisms yet since we have been companions, but we are preparing a lot of people to be baptized in the near future.
We have been teaching a lot and like I said I am having a blast. One family that we are teaching is so ready for baptism that it is crazy! All we have to do now is get the mom and her boyfriend married and get them to quit smoking. I am hoping to have my first "weddingtism" (wedding and then baptism on the same day). They are and African-American family that consists of a bunch of people living in the same home. (Mother, Boyfriend, 2 nephews, 1 Son, a Daughter-in-law, and a sister that are all baptismal age) Yes, we are teaching a family of 7!!! They are so ready to take this next step in their lives and I cannot wait for them to do so! I care about them so so much because I know that their family can be together forever after they are baptized and make further promises in the temple.
We have been blessed this week with 5 new investigators to teach, this is something that I have been praying for, I have hoped to find more people to teach so that maybe the mission president will see how great the work is going in our area so that I can stay here for a long time.
Something that happened on last Wednesday that was really fun was that we were able to meet the new mission president that day! His name is President Ellsworth and he is from a place called Carrie Idaho. He and his family game some talks to us as missionaries and we were able to ask them some questions. I am excited because this will be the mission President that I will have for the rest of my time here, I am excited to become close with him and to report to him now.
Sunday was fast Sunday again and I got up to bear my testimony, I talked more specifically about missionary work and how important it is to talk to our neighbors about the message that we have. I talked about the freedom that we have as a country and how the atonement of Jesus Christ is something that makes it possible to be free from spiritual bondage. I don't remember my exact words, but I felt the spirit there strongly!
Something that I didn't know, that I was extremely mad about, was that fireworks in the state of Arizona are illegal!!!!! What the heck? I don't like that rule, so that Sunday night when we were out there weren't any families out on the curb lighting of fireworks at all! It was totally weird to me because I expected to see it, but when Elder Brown told me why they weren't out I was completely shocked! Yes I understand that this state is extremely dry (No rain sightings yet), but to have no fireworks in kind of Un-American don't you think? Yes there were some big fireworks shows the night before the 4th and the night of the 4th, but it just wasn't the same.
Yesterday we found something crazy awesome in our shower, we found a lizard of some kind! I have no idea how it got in there, but we caught him in a jar and decided to name him Tubby (because of where we found him). He was just a tiny lizard, but he was awesome! We let him go this morning because I doubt he liked being in a jar, but I had fun while it lasted because I didn't find things like that in my house back home. I am hoping that we can find a scorpion next, just not in our beds or in our shower, maybe outside somewhere?
This week has been amazing, the time has been flying by and I am NOT happy about that. Time keeps speeding up when we get busy and I hope that it wont go by any faster. I know that I have been called of God to be here spreading the gospel. The message that we share is something that is unique and that we help us to live with our Heavenly Father again and shouldn't be taken for granted. I have a challenge for everyone that reads this email, commit yourself to missionary work, be a good neighbor to those that you might not know yet, invite them over for dinner or take them some goodies every once in a while to show them that you care, this opens the door to let them know about the church and how it can help their lives.
I love you all and am praying for you!
Elder Thomas

No comments:
Post a Comment