This blog is a place where Morgan's mission letters and pictures will be posted as he sends them in. We're hoping it will be an additional way for all of his family and friends to follow him through the next two years as he serves as a missionary for
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Monday, September 6, 2010

Roller Coaster of Life

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CLARK!!!
I hope that 23 years makes you feel really old! 

I have had a very interesting week brothers and sisters. The roller coaster of life was very low and then got really high again, let me explain what I mean. 

On September 2nd, My grandma passed away after suffering for many months from cancer related symptoms. I received a call from my mission president and for those of you that don't know, a call from him is pretty rare. He informed me of the news and also told me that I would be allowed to call home if I chose to. He then went on to advise me not to call home, because it would just distract me from the work. In his own words he said:
"My advice would be to just put your head down, show your Grandma and the Lord how good of a missionary you are."
I was obedient and didn't call home because I knew that I needed to do exactly what he told me to. The news was expected, but I was not prepared to hear it. I cried and I hope that it wasn't too awkward for my companion who was sitting next to me in the car. Then 30 minutes later we were able to go into an old folks home and teach some members, all I could think about was grandma. This lasted until about Saturday.

Saturday was when my week really started turning around! I was able to go to a baptism for someone in my last area. His name is Bill Horn and he had been waiting for 18 years to be baptized! (that is almost as long as I have been living!) He was on parole for that long and just got off so I was happy that I was able to witness that event and to be a part of the army of missionaries that taught him throughout the years. 

Then, on Sunday night I was able to go to a mission presidents fireside and of course I invited Mason Johnson, he is still trying to get out on his mission, but I am  there for him to support him along the way! To my surprise, Jason Tennon, a guy that I baptized in my last area was speaking as one of the recent converts and he gave a great talk and testimony! I love him! He lifted my spirits so much and I am grateful for the blessings of great members of the church who support me. I do miss my grandma, but through the plan of salvation I know that I can see her again as long as I live accordingly. She is in a better place and I expressed my love for our heavenly Father's plan during my testimony on Sunday. 

I love you all. I am off to see the Diamondbacks game now and will be sure to send some pictures from it on next Tuesday the 14th.

Elder Morgan Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment